Saturday, July 22, 2006

Went to dinner tonight with a friend of mine and four of his friends. I didn't know the other guys but since I'm new again in New York, I thought it would be a good chance to meet new people. All four of the guys were nice although I think one of them might be certifiabley insane. But it was a first impression and most often for me those turn out to be far from reasonable. So I'll hold off on judgment too soon.

At one point during dinner the discussion turned to cell phones and students who use them in class. Two of the people at the table were teachers and they both told stories of calling students out who used their phones. All of us thought this was reasonable, thinking time and place for everything. Then one of the teacher's phone rings. And he answers it. And has a conversation at the dinner table. Time and place, hmmm.

Perhaps it is just me, but unless it's of absolute importance I never answer my phone during these types of gatherings. That's the reason we have voice mail. The person calls, they leave a message, we return it later. I thought it was as inappropriate to answer the phone during dinner as it is in class. And if it truly is an emergency, then apologize before you take the call, or after. Or at least explain that it's a call you have to take.

Not two minutes later someone else at the table answered their phone. Am I completely over-reacting?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're over-reacting. Miss Manners says that if you receive a mobile phone call during a social gathering (say, at the dinner table or in a business meeting), you should excuse yourself, quietly answer the phone, and inform the caller you will return their call as soon as possible. Myself, I think it's tantamount to telling the folks you're with that they're not as important as your caller. It shows large measure of disrespect. But that's just me...

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're over-reacting. Miss Manners says that if you receive a mobile phone call during a social gathering (say, at the dinner table or in a business meeting), you should excuse yourself, quietly answer the phone, and inform the caller you will return their call as soon as possible. Myself, I think it's tantamount to telling the folks you're with that they're not as important as your caller. It shows large measure of disrespect. But that's just me...

Larry said...

Calls suspected of being an emergency are an exception, but otherwise I agree with you.