Sunday, July 09, 2006

Sorry about not posting last night. Was a fun filled evening which mostly involved drinking beer. So by the time I got home I was far too intoxicated to write any thing intelligent.

Actually the evening was kind of a bust, although it started kind of nice. We started the evening by having a picnic of sorts out by Maine Head Light (a lighthouse). Nothing too fancy just some chips and salsa, cheese and crackers, and most importantly beer and wine. There were 9 of us total. M.M. and L.M. and their friends which included a toddler and an infant. We sat around made stupid jokes, laughed at the kids and enjoyed the beauty of the water.

From there we came home had some more beer (at least I did) and then walked downtown to The Asylum to attend a Beth Orton concert. Before I go on, I should point out that I have no idea who she is, although I have been told I should. I wasn't even going to go to the concert but M.M. and L.M. already had tickets and their friends told me I didn't get a choice in the matter, I was going whether I liked it or not.

So we get to the Asylum wait in a line that goes down the block and around the corner and continued down the block. This was the line for everything: will call, ticket purchase, to get into the bar. This wouldn't have been such a big deal except I had to pee like nobody's business. We ended up waiting about a half an hour and then we were let in. We all ran like crazy to the restroom and then moved on to our most important task, getting more alcohol. The really convenient part was I was the only one who brought money so I ended up buying for everyone all night.

After we got our drinks we moved to the dance floor where the audience was going to be for the show. What no one had told me, or them for that matter is that there were no seats. It was standing only and as time progressed we became more and more like sardines. By the time the warm up band started we couldn't move. Further more, even being six feet tall I couldn't see the stage and M.M. and L.M. are short so they could see even less. By the time the warm up band ended we had had enough. We pushed our way to the back of the bar and out into the waiting area. From there we moved to the bar next door where we waited for the rest of their friends to come out.

We didn't have to wait long. Seems Beth Orton was sick so she played two or three songs and then they carried her off stage and the concert was over. Our friends joined us and we finished up our drinks, went down the street and got dinner, and called it an evening. What's funny, is that I still don't know what Beth Orton's music sounds like. But I did have an interesting discussion at dinner with the 7 lesbians about circumcision and whether it's good or bad and what I preferred, which didn't compare to listening to what they preferred when they were still dating men. Hmmmm, do I hear a little penis envy?

3 comments:

Ur-spo said...

hohoho
what a night!
BTW, do you have preference?

Maddog said...

ur-spo: No real preference. It really depends on who it's attached to.

Mark said...

Beth Orton is wonderful. Well worth your time. Sorry she bailed.