Friday, July 14, 2006

I had forgotten how annoying New Yorkers were. Actually, I'd be willing to bet most of the people who annoyed me today were tourists, but since they are here we'll consider them New Yorkers. I actually spent about 15 minutes contemplating starting a post called pet peeve Thursdays but really don't want my blog to be a negative experience for anyone.

But just for today. Pet Peeves.

Why is it impossible to get real customer service in Manhattan? I spent the day looking for places in the city to get new business cards printed. I have had the worst luck on line and want a place where I can proof them before they are printed. I went to several places today and getting someone to talk to me and actually answer questions was next to impossible. I just needed to know cost and in what form the artwork needed to be submitted. Finally at a Staples, someone actually stopped what they were doing to help me. Needless to say, I'll be there tomorrow to place the order.

Why must people stop immediately upon exiting the subway to determine where they are going. Don't they realize there are 400 people behind them that have exactly 30 seconds to get off the train before the doors are closed on them. If you must stop and look around, take a couple of steps in one direction or another and keep moving. The stations not going anywhere.

Why do 20 year olds think the subway is a playground. I couldn't hear the music on my Ipod today because of the 3 guys at the end of the car that were doing chin ups on the poles and yelling and pushing each other. If asked I would have sworn they were drunk but I think it was too early in the day for that. But it is NYC so that might have indeed been then answer.

Why do you need to push me aside to get in front of me while I am waiting in to cross the street. In busy intersections there can easily be over 50 people waiting to cross the street, and one lone soul will push his way, or in today's case, her way to the front of the line so she can be first to cross. We are all going the same way and once the light changes the flow will be so fast you can maneuver around most anyone in your way.

I could go on but I think I have made my point. Don't get me wrong, I love New York and am incredibly excited to be back. Just some things I noticed today. Of course I didn't point out any of the wonderful things I saw today. Like the 70 year old man wearing the mesh shirt looking like he had just stepped out of 1976, with his hair dyed and ready to go. Or the beauty of the 1 train subway station at 168 street that looks the way subway stations were probably meant to look. Or the fact that if you take the local train it's not so crowded. It takes about 15 minutes longer but you can relax and enjoy your ipod and not be distracted. Or the insane number of hot men that I saw today. New York has beautiful people of all shapes and sizes. Some of them even look like the guys in the magazines. And about half the men I was checking out I caught checking out girls who were in front of me. I always think that's funny. When I am checking out a guy, who's checking out a girl, who's oblivious to the whole thing.

Enough rambling about New York.

May not post tomorrow night cause I have a second date. And I think I am spending the night. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

PJS said...

I agree with you that there are probably more wonderful things than everyday annoyances about NYC... I am totally with you on the people stepping out of the subway door and just STOPPING. I almost crushed a petite young lady this very moment who did that to me at Columbus Circle. At this moment, I'm sure she's completely unaware how close she came to severe bodily injury.

Another pet peeve: people who press the freaking elevator button when it's already lit up and the elevator's on it's way. I HATE THAT, it's like they don't trust YOUR push, and have to push the button THEMSELVES to make sure you did it right. ARRRGGGH!

Good luck on your date.

Ur-spo said...

ah, NYC!
You did a nice job summing up some of the merits and pitfalls of living in NYC.
When I go there for my annual trek this autumn I promise to get right off the subway!

Larry said...

Have fun tonight :)

john said...

I've never lived in New York, although I have visited on several occassions. The hurry, hustle, bustle world of New York City often overwhelms me.