Friday, July 21, 2006

I signed my lease. I didn't know it but C.Z. had arranged for it a two year lease. So now I am really stuck here. It wasn't as stressful as I thought it would be. I did it without much thought at all. I signed and initialed where I was asked to and that was that. Now it's done. We move next weekend. I mean I take my two suitcases from this apartment to the new apartment. My actual belongings won't be here until mid -October when I return from San Diego after doing the two shows.

Now that the lease is signed I really have to get on the ball looking for work. I have lived in this little dream world for the past two months that the money I have in the bank will last forever. In truth it's dwindling fast. I am not even sure if I have the money to actually move my stuff east. I am going to have to do some serious investigating and checking to see what's what. I do have some retirement money that's been put away for years that I could dip into, but I am trying not to do that.

So tomorrow, I need to get out of bed at a reasonable time and start sending out some emails to contacts I have in the city looking for work. It's really just about getting my name out there. People have to know that I am here, that I am good, that I am reliable and the rest will take care of itself. Right now, no one knows I am here (except you guys...and you're not hiring) and that's a problem. It truly could be worse. I could have no one to contact which was the case when I moved here the first time. That's why I went almost 5 years without designing anything. And although I had a real job making more money than I had ever made in my life and was finally able to go to restaurants based on reputation not on menu price, and I was able to travel to Europe 5 times in two years, and see Broadway shows, I was also the most miserable I had ever been. I hated going to work. Hated everything about it. On another day I'll tell the story of how I got myself fired for the severance package. It's very funny.

I'll of course keep you posted on the progress. And just to let you know. I have walked about 3 to 4 miles each of the last two days. I can already feel the weight starting to fall off. So at least something is going right.

1 comment:

Larry said...

fired for the severance package, eh? I must admit to being partial to those myself :)