Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I'm a little tipsy. We have been drinking since about 1:30 this afternoon. We consists of M.M. and her friends D., D. and S. I don't know their last names since they are my brand new B.F.F.'s. For anyone just tuning in I am in Portland, Maine visiting my best friend M.M. and she and her friends had decided that a good way to celebrate the 4th was to put on a drag king show. So today that just what we did.

I was brought in to do lights and sound. Lights I know about...sound not so much. But I promised to do my best. After getting up at 7 a.m. to start my day, we ended up running around till just after lunch getting all of the things we needed for a drag king show. This involves fake hair for beards and moustaches, ace bandages to bind their chests, jock straps to hold their fake penis's, and mucho, mucho alcohol.

With all of our items in tow, we went back to the house they were performing at, and sat up. We installed some lights to light the stage, figured out the best place to put the sound system and then started a run thru. We ran thru the whole show start to finish and were able to work out any last minute issues. Then home it was to shower and change then back to finish setting up.

About 40 - 50 people actually came to see the show which was a great relief since the girls spent the afternoon panicking that no one was coming. The show started at 8:30 and the audience loved it from the beginning. I don't think some of them knew how to behave. Was tipping appropriate? Could they touch? Was screaming and general obnoxious yelling okay. As the evening wore on, the reservations became less an issue and everyone started really having a good time.

Overall, it was a huge success. And already there has been talk of BBQ Theatre's next production. Hopefully, with any luck I'll be able to come back up and work on that as well. Anyway, I am a little tipsy since I have been drinking for 12 hours, but I promise that I'll post pics in the next day or so of the show and you all can let me know what you think.

No comments: