Monday, January 29, 2007

It's time for my weekly update.

Weight Lost this week: 2.5 pounds
Total Weight Lost: 25 pounds
Total Exercise: about 6 or so miles. It's too cold to be outside for long.
Classes Taught: 4
Total Students: 18 total. 11 in one class, 7 in the other
Days in Iowa: 14
Average Temperature this week: about 5 degrees...it's been VERY cold

That's about it for my update.

I apologize for last night's rant. I don't do that often on my blog but I just felt like I had to say something. The one thing I forgot to mention in my post is that Ted Haggard makes a brief appearance at the end of the movie. How did these people not know he was gay. He screams HOMOSEXUAL, and screams it with all caps. Just my opinion.

I also did a word cloud this weekend and am finally posting it. You guys can see what I am always talking about by how big the words are. If you want to do your own go here. It's pretty cool. It scans your blog and then captures the words that are most common.

Life in Iowa is okay. Had a very lonely weekend. It's weird not having a car in a place like this. Even weirder is that there's no place to go even if I did have a car. There's Wal-Mart, Ace Hardware, The Dollar General Store, and the video store, which I don't know the name for. There are a number of restaurants in town but I don't know if I feel comfortable yet, going there by myself. I'm trying right now to figure out which bar in town would be best to watch the Super Bowl. Not that I'm really interested in football, but it would be nice to be out of the house for a while and it would give me something to do. I'll let you know what I decide, although I have a feeling I'll be at home with my own six pack watching.

I have decided not to apply for the tenure-track position here in Iowa where I am teaching. I was hired as a one semester guest lecturer while they interview for the "real" position. Since I have been here I realize that I don't think the school is a good fit for me. Especially since the position is a scenery/lighting position. I can do scenery, but lighting is my speciality and I would much rather have a job that I can concentrate on teaching lighting. So the good news is I'll only be in Iowa for a few short months. The bad news is that I have to find a job at the end of the summer.

I bought my ticket to San Diego tonight. I'll be flying there on February 22, and returning on February 26. There is a memorial service for my friend who died on February 25 that I want to attend. It's being student produced and is a way for my friends who are still at school to celebrate C.P.'s life in their art. From what I have heard about it so far, it sounds like a wonderful tribute and the school administrators are behind them 100%.

That's it from my neck of the woods.

7 comments:

Ur-spo said...

The Land of Giants!

Jimmi said...

Love the words that yours had in it. Very cool :)

Sorted Lives said...

I am sure your friend will know you are there in spirit. I look forward to hearing about it in February.

And, look on the bright side, May will be here before you know it. Even if you don't think you're a good fit, it will be good experience.

Spider said...

Sounds like the memorial service is going to be a beautiful tribute to your friend... how wonderful is that. Hope things brighten up for you as the snow and cold begin to decrease... find a place, a restaurant or bar and start frequenting it - kinda make it your own while you are there - the town sounds like they will welcome you as a "regular" and before you know it you will feel like one - that is what I did when I moved downtown and it worked like a charm!

Anonymous said...

on a positive note, congrats on the 25 pounds! That's awesome.

Pete said...

Why don't you have a superbowl party in the rocking basement you have, LOL. You should venture out and enjoy a good meal. I hope you are getting to know your co-workers, perhaps they could offer you some suggestions.

Donnie said...

Congratulations on the weight loss, maddog. It looks like you have two nice sized classes. This semester I have small classes.