Monday, January 08, 2007

The Christmas tree is finally gone. Taking it down is my least favorite part of the holidays. In all honesty it should have been taken down more than a week ago, but we left it up since we were having guests. Today was also the only time C.Z. and I could coordinate our schedules to be home for more than an hour or two together. We started about 12:30 and by 4:30 everything was packed away, the floors had been swept and re-swept, the furniture cleaned (the needles were everywhere) and our new rug for the living room was in place. We were done. It was actually sad coming home tonight and not seeing the tree in the window. I guess I'll have to get used to it for a while.

Actually I won't. I mentioned in yesterday's post that I was going to Iowa. I think I may have mentioned this about a month ago, but I know I really didn't discuss it much. So for the record, I have been hired to teach at a school in Iowa. I'll be teaching two classes in my field. The job kind of fell into my lap so I didn't really feel like I could turn it down. I also didn't have any other amazing offers so I accepted it. It'll require me to be out of town till May. It's not as bad as it sounds. I've rented a three bedroom house for a couple of bucks, about 2 blocks from campus. I won't need a car there, and it'll force me to continue to get exercise. I'm subletting my apartment to my friend J.T. who was just here to visit. So everything is falling into place.

So this Friday, I put all of my things, at least the things I'm taking, into a rental car and I drive to Kentucky. I'm spending the weekend with my mom. We are just going to hang out, visit relatives and on Sunday drive to Cincinnati to eat at my dad's favorite restaurant. I have not been there since he died so it'll be sort of weird being there without him. Then on Monday morning bright and early, I head northwest to Iowa. It should take about 12 hours according to Mapquest. I'm probably going to stay in hotel for the first night, so that I am not stressing out about what I need and what I should have brought with me.

On Tuesday I get down to business. I haven't made one plan yet for the classes I am going to be teaching. I'll have my work cut out for me, but it should be doable. Classes start the week of the 22nd. Then before you know it, it'll be May and I'll be writing about packing up and heading back to NYC.

I'll keep all of you posted on my adventures in the Midwest.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am excited for you. Sounds like a great adventure!! I wanna go!

Spider said...

How exciting Maddog! What an experience and a chance of a lifetime - you must be damn good at what you do! Can't wait to here about the trip out and all of the exciting things that will happen! BIG CONGRATS to you!

Donnie said...

Have a safe trip, Maddog! Congrats on the job. Can't wait to hear about it once you've settled in.

Pete said...

Congratulations! Have a safe journey to Iowa. Keep us informed on your new adventure.

Ur-spo said...

Iowa really is no different than Manhattan, so you will hardly notice anything.
Exception; no pastrami sandwiches available at 3AM. Stinko.

Cincy Diva said...

What was dad's favorite restaurant here in Cincy? There's so many good ones! Rnjoy Iowa and have a safe trip.