Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I was way too tired to post last night, so here's a middle of the day post.

I made the most outstanding discovery on Sunday. I was walking around, freezing my butt off, when I decided it was too cold to continue. So I went in this "store" that was open on Sundays. Turns out you can get books from this "store" for free if they give you give them a lot of personal information and they give you a card. I got a library card on Sunday. Who would have known. I haven't had a library card in years. In fact I don't remember the last time I was in a public library. This one is very small but they have the latest best sellers and it's cute and quaint. I'll take pictures this weekend and post them. So I checked out two books. One I needed for my class and one is just to read. I'll let you know how they are.

On another note, I have had to find a hobby to keep myself busy. I have LOTS of free time here in Iowa with not much to do. So I have started crocheting again. My mother taught me to do it in when I was in 6th grade. That winter we missed almost two months of school and I was bored, so she sat me down and taught me the basics. It's not hard and I managed to teach myself the rest. I haven't crocheted in years. In fact, it took a couple of days to really get used
to it again. So now I am making scarves for all my friends. I have made 7.5 scarves since I have been here. Two of them I mailed out last week and the other 5 were mailed yesterday to both sides of the country. It's been kind of fun. I crochet while I am watching TV and it doesn't feel like I am wasting my time. I have one more to finish and yarn for about 20 more so I have enough to keep me busy until it gets to0 warm to make scarves and then I'll have to move on to something else. Here is a picture of the scarves I finished so far.

9 comments:

KipEsquire said...

"So now I am making scarves for all my friends. I have made 7.5 scarves since I have been here."

Can I order one? Bright green -- can you have it ready by St. Patrick's Day?

Send the bill to my blog. ;-)

P.S. Do you make them in doggie size? Diamond wants one too.

Maddog said...

Kip: If you let me know how long and how wide...that's a loaded question I am sure, I'd be happy to make you one.

Donnie said...

I haven't been to a library in years (except for the yearly orientation class I take my students to). I think my library card is expired.

My mom crochets, as did my Gramma. When I was about 7 or 8 my Gramma taught me the basics. I only did a few little projects before I became interested in other things.

Mike said...

That blue one one the left is just the cutest little thing!! Can you crochet me some flip-flops?

My elder sister taught me how to crochet when I was about the same age, unfortunately, she never taught me how to go around the corners. ;(

Spider said...

DAMN you are talented! I LOVE the blue striped one on the far left... I can cross-stich but that is about the extent of my talents that involve material and tread and yarn...

Ur-spo said...

how clever!
When I lived in the midwest, the winter months were spent doing projects like this; mine was quilting or sewing.
Keep up the crocheting!

KipEsquire said...

I was sorta kinda kidding, but if you're hell-bent on it then I guess I'll take "medium length, medium width," since I know nothing of proper scarf dimensions. ;-)

(Do you realize you have no email link on your blog? I was going to shoot you one to discuss.)

:-)

Pete said...

What's a library? I'll have to Google it. Nice job on the scarfs. A nice way to keep your hands busy during the winter.

Anonymous said...

My mom tried to teach me how to crochet once. It never took, but looking at your handiwork I wish it had.

I am particularly impressed with the striped ones...I would have strings hanging out all over if I tried that.