Sunday, January 07, 2007

I had a great day today. My fraternity little sister A.O. formerly A.M. was surprised this weekend with a trip to NYC by her husband in honor of her 40th birthday. She called me yesterday from LaGuardia baggage claim to tell me the news. More important than all of the sightseeing they had planned was to see me. We had not seen each other since May 2003 at my father's funeral. A lot had changed since then. She had two more kids for a total of three. I had gone off to San Diego, gone to school and since relocated back to NYC. Because of our schedules we aren't that good at staying in touch with each other so we had a lot of catching up to do.

We met up at a Thai restaurant in Hell's Kitchen that was in her tour book. It supposedly was voted one the best in NYC. I'm no Thai expert but it left a little to be desired. But that's another post. We met at 1:00 and never stopped talking the whole time we were together. We caught her husband up on our past, mutual friends we'd made since college, etc. Then we chatted about her job, my job. My moving to Iowa. (Have I mentioned I am moving to Iowa for 5 months?) We discussed NYC, the shows she seen on tour, the shows I've seen in the city, the shows I've worked on. We were still talking when her husband announced it was time to go(Have I mentioned that I don't like her husband? He's a stick in the mud and I don't see what she sees in him. But at least he's not a crack-head, like her last one). I walked with them to Rockefeller Center and then we said our good-byes. Knowing that it might be a while before we saw each other but that we were there if the other needed it.

Today was a nice reminder of how old friends are. When you get together it's as if no time has passed and you pick up right where you left off. I have a number of friends like this, with the number getting greater all the time. If you really had things in common in the beginning it's my belief you'll still have things in common. It's the reality of close friends. Of course people grow apart but I believe that's a different thing all together. There are very few people that I have spent time getting close to and call close friends that I still don't enjoy spending time with. I hope this continues to be true.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful. Glad you had a great time catching up!http

Crash said...

So why are you going to Iowa?

Anonymous said...

it is really interesting to meet up with old friends that you haven't seen in some time. It can be difficult when you don't get along with a friends spouse. Sounds like you're handling it well. I'm looking forward to looking up a few old friends this spring.

What are some of the shows you've worked on?

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Spider said...

You are right - there is nothing better than picking up where you left off with old friends - sounds like a great visit!

Donnie said...

That's really cool! I have a friend like that who lives in Charlotte with her girlfriend. I only get to see her maybe 2 times a year. But when we see each other, we pick up like we were chatting just 15 minutes previously.

Ur-spo said...

how lovely!

Anonymous said...

I love hooking up with old friends. I get to tell them all about me and what I have been up to - my favorite subject. :)