Monday, January 29, 2007

I saw the scariest movie ever tonight. I was curled up in my chair waiting for someone to say BOO! Unfortunately, that never happened, and as I continued to watch I became more and more concerned that what I was seeing was real. The movie...

Jesus Camp.

It's a documentary about indoctrinating children to evangelical views of religion, specifically Christianity. They follow a series of children as they attend church, then religious camp and then go to Washington to protest abortion. I have no problem with religion. I have no problem with Christianity. On a good day, I think I might believe myself. What I don't believe is that children should be taught to hate and fear most of the general population. They are taught that if you are not a tongue speaking, bouncing up and down, feel the Lord sort of Christian than you are going to hell. In fact there is a whole scene about "dead" Christians who just sit in church, sing the songs, and don't really "feel" the spirit of the Lord.

As I said, I don't have a problem with religion. I don't even mind that they are conservative. It's just the hatred they feel toward me and my kind. It's the hatred they have for people of other faiths. It's the hatred they have for people that don't think as they do. It's the hatred they feel for anything different than they are. I don't pretend to know a lot about other faiths and I barely know much about Christianity, but if I have to worship a hateful vengeful god then I think I'll take my chances with not believing. What happened to the teachings of Christ. What happened to "love thy neighbor?" What happened to "do onto others as you would have them do onto you?" What happened to John 3:16? That's about all the scripture I can quote but according to several churches I've attended it's enough. All it takes is a belief to be "saved." There was no talking of having to "feel" the spirit.

Can you tell I'm a little angry? It just makes me mad, how fucked up these kids are going to be. Especially the gay ones. And I believe that it's impossible that none of them are gay. They are being taught to hate themselves and everyone like them. No small child should have to carry the weight of abortion, or war. They should be out enjoying life. Trying to make the most of the gifts God has given them. Learning to love each other as well as their neighbor, as well as the Muslims down the street and the Jews on the next block. They swear these children to promises they are too young to understand let alone swear to.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I feel better now. Sorry about the venting. I'll say a little prayer for them tonight in hopes they'll come to understanding that a world of love and respect is far better than a world of hate and fear. If nothing else it'll make me feel better.

4 comments:

KipEsquire said...

Or as I phrased it, "Elmer Gantry Meets Lord of the Flies."

Unfortunately, "Jesus Camp" is stuck in "Very Long Wait" limbo on Netflix. I wonder whether it's all the evangelicals, or those of us who fear them, who are clogging up the queue for it. ;-)

Spider said...

Great post Maddog... if they are teaching them to hate then it is not religion...

Donnie said...

Thanks for warning us about this dreadful movie. These kind of people are all around down here in the South. They "look normal", but don't act normal. :D

Anonymous said...

I told you it was scary.