Saturday, January 06, 2007


It's official. This weekend palm trees are being planted in Central Park. The public beaches are being opened. The city pools should be ready for use by the end of the week. The tropical resorts will be built and open in just a few years. Of course if Hollywood's right about all this, most of lower Manhattan will be under water in just a few short months. All of this the effects of global warming and the insanely warm temperatures.

Tomorrow the temperature in NYC is supposed to be 70. The previous high was 63 so we'll be setting records. All of this in a winter that has yet to yield any cold weather. In fact we have only had three days that would even remotely seem like winter. We have yet to have any snow and in NYC usually up to two inches of snow has fallen by the end of December.

I'm starting to wonder why I left San Diego. The weather here will be warmer tomorrow than it will be out there. As of right now it's 59 degrees here and only 50 degrees in San Diego. One of the big reasons I wanted to move back to the east coast was to experience seasons again. I'm still waiting. So far it's been summer and fall. And it's been fall since October. Can someone please wake me when winter gets here? I have a brand new winter coat, hat, and gloves waiting to be used.

8 comments:

digital t-square said...

It's freezing here right now. I don't think it got warmer than the 60's today. It was nice and sunny, but chilly. Last night we had strong winds and rain. Send that winter coat this way!

A Bear in the Woods said...

All right, I'm pulling my speedos out of mothballs, and getting ready to scare the kids at poolside. Mix up a pitcher of Mai Tai's and meet me there.

Donnie said...

Well, things are screwy down here in the south. Besides being in the mid to upper 70s yesterday and today, yeasterday afternoon & evening we were under a tornado watch. This is totally uncalled for. I have a sinking feeling that we're going to "catch hell" in February.

Rick Aiello said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think part of my depression this winter is due to the lack of snow. Snow just makes things so... wintery.

God that was a bad analogy. If it was actually an analogy at all.

But you know what I mean.

And as far as paying for it... I think we're REALLY gonna pay for this in the upcoming summer. If it's hot NOW... it's gonna be SCORCHING come July. :P

Ur-spo said...

70 degrees does not sound good; it sounds alarming.
I hope this is merely a trend.

Anonymous said...

..and I don't like it. It was 80 here, and my air has been on since.... ahh March - OF LAST YEAR!! Would love some cooler weather.

Jimmi said...

Yeah it is so bizarre the weather. Our weather here in Phoenix has been less than warm. It's been chilly compared to the rest of the country. Then you look at Colorado, is just all a wonder. I suggest seeing An Inconvenient Truth if you haven't seen it already.