Monday, January 22, 2007

It's been a nice day today. Woke up to snow this morning. Actually started last night but we got several more inches from the time I went to bed and the time I woke up. It was so bright and white. After three years in San Diego it's nice to actually get to experience winter. I haven't minded the cold weather or the snow yet although it's fun to tell people about how cold it is and all the snow we've had. They think I'm miserable but I'm actually having a good time.

Got the syllabi finished today. Well sort of. I have about 30 minutes left on the first one, which will be done before I go to bed tonight. The second one actually went pretty fast. I had a good idea of what I was doing before I started it. I just needed to get it down on paper and figure out the time line, points, and due dates. It actually looks good, and if I have good students I think they'll learn a lot without being too bored. Of course I guess some of that pressures on my shoulders so I'll have to stay ahead as well.

Continuing with the house that I am staying in. The construction of the house is really weird. The walls are about 3/4" thick. They are not framed the way most houses are. In fact I can't figure out how they are framed at all. But if you do any inspecting you can tell they are in fact quite thin.

Another really strange thing about the house is that it has a full basement with a washer and dryer down there. Makes sense right? But in the third bedroom, in the closet, is the hook-up for another washer and dryer. I guess you could have a second set if you wanted? Or if you were too lazy to walk downstairs you could have them upstairs. Don't know what the deal is but I think it's strange.

Also downstairs, in the unheated basement is a pink rumpus room with a built in bar. I don't know how else to describe it but here it is.










And the icing on the cake. When I first toured the house and was shown the basement, there was a toilet sitting in the middle of the floor. It looked as though it were left over from some renovation and had never been disposed of. It's not hidden from view, in a bathroom, or even sitting next to the wall. It's just out in the middle of the floor. And then when I went downstairs to turn up the hot water heater, I discovered that the toilet is functional. Huh? It makes no sense at all. I guess if you were having a party downstairs in the rumpus room, you could just use the toilet downstairs, if you didn't want or need privacy. Or perhaps as my friend
F.M. suggested it was for the kids I kidnap from Missouri and keep prisoner in my basement. I
know that's not funny, but I can't figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?

8 comments:

Spider said...

I see some wild, kinky retro party in your future...

Congrats on the syllabi! You are going to SO knock them dead out there...

Unknown said...

Basements can be fun... as far as the toilet... if someone had the money, it would make it easier to make the basement into an apartment or extra big bedroom with half bath with a few walls... hmmm

digital t-square said...

I like the funky "Drew Carey Show" basement! As far as the watercloset---hmmm. I think I'm more shocked at the furry toilet seat cover. You could use a cable and shower curtain to hide the toilet. But it won't mask the sounds or smells. =:o

Donnie said...

WOO HOO! The 70's called...they'd like their rumpus room back.

Congrats on finishing the prep work for class. You'll do well, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

I am so coming to the first rumpus room party. :) I can't wait. It could be a "Pink Flamingo" party.

Also, as for the toilet, I suppose if you have a fetish for watching people use the bathroom (some people do), then you have a built in fetish place.

Pete said...

I think Kelly was heading in the right direction if there is a set of hook ups for another W/D. I have seen in some older homes toilets placed in the celler without much protection. Usually the space was occupied by men for a rec room / carpentery place and was used mostly for #1.
How scarry is the rumpus room? What is that a crack in the drywall and water leak stains? Asbestos tiles for sure on the floor. How do access the back of the bar, climb over it.

Anonymous said...

I love the bowling pins on the bar!
I'm with you on the snow. I've lived in Phoenix, AZ for 6 years and miss it. It did actually snow some up in NE Phoenix yesterday though. Very rare occurence.

Ur-spo said...

dear me!
Iowa is shaping up to be quite the adventure!
enjoy the winter - it gets stale in about 2 weeks.