Monday, January 01, 2007

For the past week or so I thought I would start the year by posting some insightful thoughts and words to inspire me for the year. I have thought and thought as to what I might say and still I am searching for an idea. So far, nothing.

Today is January 1, 2007. The first day of the new year. It's a time for reflection of what has past and a time to look ahead at the coming year. On CNN this past week a poll stated that most Americans thought 2006 was not a favorable year. At first I agreed and then realized in fact 2006 was a fine year. Many wonderful things happened to me this year.

1. I graduated from a reputable program with my MFA in theatrical design.
2. I moved cross country to start pursuing my career.
3. I moved into a wonderful apartment in NYC, with the best roommate I have ever had.
4. I drove cross-country on a trip that once again let me see the vast expanse of the land we call home.
5. I was hired to teach at a school for the spring semester in the Midwest where I'll be relocating in 11 days.
6. I have money in the bank.
7. I have a family who loves me even though I don't always appreciate them.
8. I have wonderful friends who would give me the shirt off their backs if they thought I needed it.
9. I discovered the world of blogging and have made many Internet acquaintances.
10. I lost 21 pounds in the last two months of the year.
11. I worked on the regional theatre production of a show that should be on Broadway in less than a year.
12. Artistically, I did some wonderful work with a number of brilliant theatre artists.
13. Something I haven't mentioned in the blog yet because I worry of judgement, but I re-started a 12-step recovery program and it's going quite well. (It's not for alcohol, for those of you who know I drink every once in a while. While I am at it, it's not for food, either.)
14. I visited Maine for the first time this year and loved the beauty of it.
15. I put up a Christmas tree for the first time in five years.
16. My health has been near perfect except for a little depression that I have always dealt with.
17. I've opened my NYC home up for all my friends to visit and a number of them have taken me up on the offer.
18. I learned that it's okay to take care of yourself even if it means hurting some one's feelings.
19. I learned that Life is good.
20. I learned that I am loved.

Not a bad list for five minutes.

As for my resolutions I only have two, but they are related.

1. I want to lose a total of 100 pounds by January 1, 2008. I have lost 21 pounds so far, so I am well on my way. I want to do it slowly, and carefully so that it doesn't effect my health. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
2. I want to be able to run 5 miles again by the end of the year. Three and a half years ago I ran 5 miles almost every day. It was healthy for both my body and my mind. Especially my mind. I solved all my problems as I ran, argued with people, sorted things out, and got them in line. I stopped running for a number of reasons which I'll post about later this week. But running again is my wish.

Wish me luck as I start this journey.

I hope everyone had a wonderful first day of the year.

Try to enjoy them all.

7 comments:

Spider said...

Maddog - you should be SO PROUD of yourself! What a fantastic list of accomplishements... CONGRATS! The rest of us wish our lists were 1/4 that long... good luck on the 12-step thing... certainly understand how that goes... and good luck on the goals for 2007 - again - you should be SO PROUD of yourself!

Anonymous said...

What a great list. Fantastic job. :) And here's to a great new year and that 100 pounds we are going to loose each.

Ur-spo said...

great post/good lists all.
especially the last resolution!

digital t-square said...

you've accomplished a lot. continued success in the new year.

Donnie said...

Hey there....first time poster here. I came over here since I read & post to some of the same blogs you do. Very nice blog. :)

Congrats on your accomplishments and good luck on your goals for 2007! You can do it!

I hope you don't mind me blogrolling you.

Donnie said...

LOL....thanks for blogrolling me so swiftly.

Thanks for the comment on my blog. You wanting to use me as inspiration makes me feel great. It also forces me to do even better in the future. Good luck on the 21 pounds lost and the remaining 79 pounds will be a snap.

fullofhype said...

what a great list!

i echo everyone who commented.

knowing you are loved is truly a wonderful thing.

congratulations on your many accomplishments in 2006.

and i wish the best for 2007!