Thursday, August 10, 2006

Today was a better day. Not great but better. Actually felt like a real human being. I'll keep you guys posted as time passes.

Yesterday I was reading this blog about mistaking a butch lesbian for a guy. Which reminded me about the time I met my friend M.M.'s roommate M.

M.M. lived in Chicago for a number of years. I would visit as often as I could. I loved the city, the night life and spending time with M.M. After living there a couple of years she decided to get a roommate. It was several months after M. moved in that I came to visit. The night I got there M.M. and I went out and I got more than a little tipsy. We stumbled into the apartment in the wee hours of the morning and I passed out on the couch.

Several hours later I was awakened by someone moving around in the room. I rolled over and standing in the foyer with their back to me was the cutest little boy I had ever seen. He was about 5'4" with short cropped hair and tight little body and from what I could see he was tying a tie. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why there was a boy in M.M.'s living room, but I dismissed it and went back to sleep.

Several hours and a hangover later both M.M. and I pulled ourselves out of bed. As we were sitting sipping coffee I mentioned to her that there was a boy in her living room this morning and I wondered if maybe M.M.'s roommate wasn't as much of a lesbian as she professed. She looked a little panicked but I told her he wasn't stealing anything but was just getting dressed. At this point she didn't believe me, so I described what he looked like. She then began to laugh. She then got up and went in to her roommate's bedroom and brought back a picture. I was stunned and couldn't believe it. Her roommate was who I had seen that morning. She looked just like a 19/20 year old boy.

Of course M.M. couldn't let it rest there. She had to share the story with her roommate and the two of them spent the weekend jokingly trying to fix me up with their other butch lesbian friends. To this day when I see M. the roommate she reminds me of the story and we get a huge laugh out of it. And just for the record she still looks like a hunk of a boy when she is standing with her back to you.

1 comment:

Larry said...

Maybe it's just the addition of flannel shirts to the equation here in Maine, but I have done that so many times :) It got a little disturbing because when I was a barfly there was only one gay bar to go to and it was frequented by gay guys and lesbians in equal measure. It certainly made checking out hot guys asses... interesting :)