Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I've been drawing blanks for the last couple of days when I sit down to post. Usually by the time I'm half way home on the subway I have several ideas to work with and I go with one of them. Sometimes I just sit down and start to type and it just comes out. But for the last three or four days it's been zip, nada, nothing. So I sit here and look at my computer until I decide it's too late to be sitting here and just go to bed. I thought maybe if I talked about it the block would go away.

And with that.

Today was a not exactly a great day, not exactly a bad day.

I finally saw my NYC psychiatrist last Thursday to get my prescriptions renewed. Most of you were right in that the first thing he did was call his drug reps to get me samples of my drugs since I really can't afford them. Unfortunately it turns out that one of the drugs I have been taking since 2001 can cause heart disease and high cholesterol. To check on this he wanted to have blood work done. This would be fine if I had health insurance but when your paying out of pocket and you don't have a job, well it's a bit stressful.

So today I went downtown to get my blood work done. I had to go late in the afternoon because I forgot when I got home last night that I was supposed to be fasting and had two Diet Cokes. Whoops. So I got there about 3:00, waited about 30 minutes and then got my arm stuck. I was a little nervous, which is unusual for me, but it didn't hurt a bit. I didn't even feel the stick. The one good thing that happened was that I didn't have to pay today. I'm going to be billed which means I'll have a month or so to pay them and I'll be working by then.

After the lab I realized I had about 3 hours to waste before I had to be at a meeting at 6:30. It was raining in that kind of misting, make everything wet sort of way so I decided I'd go to the movies. So I jumped back on the subway and headed back up town to 34th Street. When I got there the only movie playing that worked in my time frame was World Trade Center. I thought never mind. I then remembered there were theatres on 23rd Street so I took the train back down. When I got there the only thing playing was World Trade Center. Never mind.

I have heard from a couple of my friends that it's a good movie. For the life of me I can't imagine seeing it. I was working and living 4 blocks from Ground Zero and was fully aware of the devastation. My apartment building shook for what seemed like hours as the towers fell. The sky was completely darkened on a biblical scale as the clouds of smoke filled the air. I was asked to evacuate my home and was not able to return for well over a week. For months the smell of the fire just up the street filled the air. This is all above and beyond the realization of the human lives lost in the blink of an eye. Nope it's not a movie that I wanted to see.

I ended up at Barnes and Noble. It's great how a person can get lost in a bookstore with out much effort. I stayed there until just before my meeting at 6:30. Much happier and much less sad than I am sure I would have been if I had gone to the movies.

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

don't sweat the diet cokes;
that is not an issue for 'fasting'
Regular colas would have been an issue.
I'd be curious to know which Rx you take that causes heart disease and cholesterol....

Larry said...

I think that if I were in your shoes Barnes & Noble would have been my choice too. Truthfully 9/11 never had as much of an impact on me as it seemed to with most other people. Then again, I've never even seen New York in real life, so I guess that even though I knew it was real, it still didn't seem real. Make sense?