Sunday, August 20, 2006

I had a great day today. I slept in today. I actually slept until Fresh Direct delivered my groceries at noon. One of the nice things about living in Manhattan is that you can have just about anything you want delivered to your front door. I have to admit that I didn't actually get groceries. I ordered Diet Coke. The "real" grocery store near my house doesn't sell Diet Coke in the can which is what I prefer at home. I can buy it in the can at a couple of nearby stores but carrying them home is a pain in the ass. So this week I ordered 6 12 packs from Fresh Direct and for just a couple of dollars it's delivered to your house and carried up the stairs.

After the Diet Coke was delivered, I played on line for a while, checking email, reading some blogs. I also watched CNN for a while and caught up on news that I hadn't seen all week. The nice part of all of this is I could do it in my underwear since my roommate flew to San Diego this morning and will be gone until Tuesday.

Before my roommate left he had arranged to borrow the super's ladder so that I could paint the living room. It was delivered around 2:30 so then I went in to over-drive. I pulled all the furniture and boxes (we are still unpacking) away from the wall. Then I got out the drop cloths and tape and began taping off the wall. And then finally I pulled out the paint that we had bought two weeks ago and got ready to paint the wall in the living room. I was able to get the first coat of paint on the wall in about an hour. The wall is in great shape and there's nothing really tricky about it. Just keep the paint off the ceiling and floor and that's about it. Once again the nice part of all this was that I did this in my underwear as well. I didn't bring paint clothes with me when I came to New York and there was nothing I wanted to chance ruining so I painted in boxers shorts. I am sure it was a sight.

Once the wall had it's first coat, I then ran up the street to pick up my laundry. My new building doesn't have washing machines and in truth I probably wouldn't use them if they did. It's almost as cheap to have your laundry done for you. You pay by the pound and everything comes back clean and folded and ready to be put away. It's the first time I've used this place though so I'll let you know how they did.

Finally I showered and was ready to head down into The Village. I was having dinner tonight with my friend J.F. He and I have been acquaintances for many years and have socialized together many times. We pretty much stopped hangin out after I started dating D.L.C. Our mutual friend J.M. put us back in touch with each other and we have been talking about getting together for dinner for a couple of weeks. We met at a little restaurant on Greenwich and finally got caught up. We had a great time. He talked about the book that he's finished writing and is trying to get published. I talked to him about getting re-acquainted to the city and getting settled.

The funniest part of the evening was when he asked me if I had seen the Little Nazi. His words not mine. Turns out that he never liked the way D.L.C. treated me especially with regard to my weight. Seems that most of my friends were aware of how controlling D.L.C. was. How much he liked things to be his way and only his way. I was aware of this but I was committed to making the relationship work. When I commit to something I don't give in easily to letting it go. So I shared with J.F. the details about the break-up and how I was told we were breaking up. He (as all my friends are) was amazed that anyone would end a relationship that way.

We had a few more laughs, had some coffee and then went our separate ways. J.F. had a maybe date at a bar later so I left and headed home. I got home and the wall was dry. So I stripped down to my boxer shorts again and put a second coat of paint on the wall. It really looks great. I think I'll put one more coat on tomorrow and then take the tape off and see how it looks. With any luck it'll be great.

And now here I am posting on my blog and getting ready for bed. As I said it was great day. I am tired and have a lot to do tomorrow. Good night all.

1 comment:

DanNation said...

Sounds like a GREAT day...I'm envious that you sat around in your underwear. Of course, I am right now...