Sunday, August 13, 2006

All this week I have been working on a show that is being done in San Diego at the beginning of September. I am one of a couple of assistants on the show. We have been doing our work in studio in midtown. It's basically a large room with large tables for spreading out and an internet connection. I have been here everyday this week and I have just walked in the front door gone to the elevator, pushed #7 and come up.

Oh, but not today. When I got here today the door was locked. On the other side of the door was an older man who refused to let me in. He just started shouting "You gotta call, You gotta call." What he didn't say was who I had to call, where I was supposed to call from, and then he refused to discuss it further. He did all of this without opening the door.

So using my cell phone I called S.T. the other assistant and he came down and let me in.

I am the first to understand that there are rules and security precautions. What I don't understand is why it's not possible for the man who was "guarding" the front door not to speak in coherent sentences. Would it not have been possible to say that unless you have a key to the front door, you can't enter the building. Should it have been impossible to say, perhaps you should call and see if there is someone up there already who can let you in. Perhaps he could have been a little bit more "human".

What I should probably say at this point is that I was already a little annoyed. For the past week I have stopped at the bodega on the corner to buy Diet Coke. Everyday for the past week it has cost me $2.50 for two Diet Cokes. I pay I go on my way. In fact on Wednesday I only had $2.00 and the guy behind the counter agreed to let me pay him the rest the next day. So today, I stop to get my Diet Cokes, but today the price is $3.00. At first I thought he said $2.00 because his accent was so thick, but finally he held up 3 fingers and said $3.00.

If you live in NYC long enough you know that prices on most things can be somewhat random and they do change just like everywhere from time to time. But I was not it buying today. I told him that in fact he was wrong and the sodas were $1.25 each and that I was only paying $2.50. Which he agreed to, but I was annoyed that he tried to overcharge me. So then when I got to the front door of the building and wouldn't be let in I became very annoyed.

So what do you do when your very annoyed. You write about it in your blog so everyone can be annoyed. Now I have to get to work, before I get fired.

2 comments:

A Bear in the Woods said...

I think maybe the overcharging thing is just a habit of "latin" culture. It's almost as if you're honor bound to try and get a little extra. Sometimes it bugs me, too. And thatrent a cop... He mighta been bugged himself, but he shouldn't take it out on you, should he?
Will you get to go out to the beach, at all. Try to go up to Oceanside, or even book a night in the Del Coronado. It's so fabulous. I used to really love tea Time" in the afternoon there.

Ur-spo said...

yes, blog-land is a good place to vent and share with those who care for you.
It sure beats raving in the street; would that more people had such good outlets as writing.