Wednesday, August 02, 2006

It seems like months since I posted. Especially since I have some serious guilt about not doing this everyday, and since I don't want to lose the few readers I have I think it's important to post as often as I can.

I do have a good excuse though. I posted my rant on tipping last week and then went off to have dinner at my favorite restaurant in NYC, City Hall. My friend M.L. and I have been trading voice mails for what seems like forever and in the course of the voice mails he's been promising to make time to have dinner. Sounds easy right? Not so for him. He splits his time between the two coasts. One or two weeks in California (not San Diego), One or two weeks in New York, depending on his work requirements. It also didn't help that for most of the time I've been back in NYC he's been on vacation in France. So we had finally agreed on Thursday and since he was already going to be in the Financial District why not meet there.

I at first said no to City Hall, because it seemed a little fancy for a catch-up dinner and I hadn't ironed a shirt since I left to come east so i wasn't sure what I was going to wear. He finally persuaded me and we agreed to meet in the bar at 6:00. I got there and it was as great as I remembered it. I can't really explain why I like it so much but I think it has more to do with the occasions that have spent there rather than the restaurant itself. M.L. and I have celebrated many occasions there and it represents the good times in our relationship. That being said, the restaurant is damn good. The service was perfect. The food was perfect. The wine was perfect. The dessert was perfect. The coffee and after dinner drinks were perfect. It was a great evening.

We finished dinner and I started my journey home. I was in a great mood when I got off the subway and was walking home. I checked my messages and had one from my friend S.H. I called him back and he was just passing my street in a cab. I persuaded him to get out at my place and that we could go the gay bar down the street and have a beer. Well one beer became two and two became four and the next thing you know it's late and I'm drunk. We finally left after I bumped the two inch by two inch square they called a table and I knocked an empty beer bottle to the floor where of course it shattered. I stumbled home a very happy, tipsy camper.

Friday morning was awful. I had to be up early to go to C.Z. and mine's new apartment for delivery and istallation of our new air conditioners. I got to the empty apartment that was about 10,000 degrees, opened all the windows and fell asleep on the hardwood floors using my backpack as a pillow. Of course the delivery wasn't at the beginning of the time frame. The air conditioners landed on our doorstep about 3 hours into my nap. But wait there's more. Turns out the guy delivering them doesn't install them. I have to wait some more. So I go back to sleep and wait almost two more hours before the guys come and install the units. Only wait, the large unit for our huge living area won't fit in the window. It's about an eighth of an inch too big. So after pushing and shoving they finally admit that there's no way to make it work. They leave and I get on the phone with my roommate who has a friend who's husband works at one of the big electronic retail stores in the city to see if they can arrange to deliver a smaller unit and take away the big one. By now my day is almost gone.

Friday night, is spent moving a lot of small items to our new apartment to make ready for the big move on Saturday. But before I get home Friday night, the internet at my apartment is officially disconnected. So not only did I not get to blog on Friday night I didn't even get to tell you what happened. To make a long story short, which I realize is about 5 paragraphs too late, we moved on Saturday, and the new air conditioner was brought today, and the cable guy also dropped by and now we have Project Runway and internet service. By the way, the cable guy looked exactly like what my fantasy of the cable guy looked like except that when he was finished hooking things up he didn't strip to cool down a little.

That's it. I am in my new apartment in the Northern Regions of Manhattan. It's great. It's two or more times bigger than the initial apartment and the rent is the same. The only thing now is for me to fly to San Diego and get my belongings and drive them back to New York City so that we can finally begin to settle.

It feels good to be back.

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

I am glad you are back too.
"few readers"?! you have more than you realize!
Your AC story sounds hellish, but the tales from NYC are very enjoyable.
Thank Goodness you have project runway-just as vital as AC?

A Bear in the Woods said...

Inch by inch,
step by step,
Slowly I turn...
You're making headway toward your goals.