Monday, August 21, 2006

I'm the king of procrastinators. Why do something today when it can be put off till tomorrow. That's what I always say. For example, painting the living room yesterday. I bought the paint and supplies at least two weeks ago and yet I just got around to painting yesterday. I probably wouldn't have even done it then, except my roommate very kindly prodded me to do it while he was gone.

Tonight I am drafting. At 1 a.m. Because I have played all weekend and put off doing what needed to be done. I should have actually finished up the drawing on Friday night. But there was t.v. to watch and friends to see. The same has been true for Saturday and today as well. In fact I think I knew all weekend that I wouldn't really touch this drawing until late Sunday night. This wouldn't be such a big deal except I am ten times more likely to make mistakes or cut corners because it's at the last minute. Which I really can't afford to have happen on this because there is too much riding on it.

So why do I do this? I don't have a fucking clue!!! I have always been this way. The only time in my life that I didn't do this was my first year of graduate school. For some reason I was able to start projects in a timely fashion and get them done well ahead of schedule. Of course by the end of my third year that had completely gone to the dogs. Procrastinating causes my stress and anxiety and yet it's still not enough to get me off my ass and finished with what needs done. But I suppose I have learned to live with it and make the best of it. And in truth I don't think I am going to change anytime soon...so...I better get back to my drawing so that I am not up all night.

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

I procrastinate when I don't want to face something I don't want to do. I've learned the angst this creates is usually far more than the real pain of the project. So I try to pounce on them when I smell one coming on.
PS- I am in Buffalo NY tonight, so we are in the same state! If Buffalo and NYC constitute 'being in the same state".