Sunday, August 06, 2006

I realize that based on my post from a couple of days ago you might think that I don't like riding the subway. That is far from the truth. I actually enjoy riding the subway and am amazed at the breakdown in class that occurs when you take the first step down into a subway station.

For the most part in NYC unless you belong to the very wealthy elite it's impossible to exist without the aid of the subway. With both buses and subways combined the MTA moves more than 7.5 million people each day. We rank 4th in the world for most passengers moved per year. It's truly a grand experiment in the human condition. Once you swipe your subway card and head into the depths of the city several stories below street level, you leave behind the material world that represents you. There is no first class seating. There is no special rope to keep the less desirables from your part of the train. Everyone is equal.

This is what I admire. I sit (or stand if it's crowded) and watch the people around me. How they react to each other. Do they acknowledge each other? Do they ignore everyone around them. Do they talk in a whisper or with no regard for who's listening? How they sit. Do the sit with their legs crossed? Are they open and inviting? Are their belongings and clothing pulled tight around them as if in fear? How they stand. Do they hold on? Are they brave or do they clutch to the bars around them? Do they read? Is it the paper or the latest best seller. I notice many times they are reading books to learn the English language. Do they listen to music. More people listen now with Ipods than I remember from before. But I have noticed people recently that still listen to cassette players.

And of course I notice how they are dressed. Are the clothes loose fitting and comfortable? Tight and sexy? Gang related? Target? Macy's? Saks? Bergdorf's? Or from the homeless shelter?

Time of day also plays a big part of the experiment. Are people on their way to work? A night club? The theatre? Home? Dinner? The Park? Or are they riding because they have no place else to go?

I could sit and ride for hours. Often I will take the local train because it takes longer and affords more time people watching. People live on the subway. They take it to work. They sleep in the corner. They greet friends they run into on their way home. They fight over who gets the seat. Get off of my foot! Get out of my way!

In all the time that I have been riding I have never seen more than a shouting match and for the most part people live and let live. Occasionally you'll get the homeless man or the drunk teen that decides it can also be used as a urinal. And there was once the man who was masturbating at 4 a.m. But he was cute so I didn't mind. And the people who throw their trash onto the floor of the car.

For me it's learning to be compassionate. And understanding. And open to listening. And to be a better person. That's why I never mind shelling out my fare. I figure it's the least I can do for 30 minutes of instruction on how to treat my fellow man. Plus, every once in a while you get the little old man who plays the trumpet, or the break dancing teens, or the singing trio that entertains you while you make your journey thru life.

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

That is a very nice way to look at public transport.