Friday, August 18, 2006

I have about 35 blogs that I read almost everyday. In fact when I do miss a day I take an afternoon and catch up. It's kind of like my mother watching her "stories" when I was young. I feel like if I miss a day, I'll miss something important that's life changing not only for the blogger but for me as well. So I read.

And I read. And I have discovered that there are a couple of bloggers out there I don't think I like very much. I read their posts daily and they are mean, or insensitive, or full of themselves. At first I let them slide. Everyone has days where they are full of themselves. And God knows I have been mean to more than a couple of people in my life. But as I continue to read these posts, I realize that I don't have a lot of tolerance for it. I have to admit that one of the reasons I read is to escape from my own life. So to suddenly find myself reading posts that cause me to get angry and upset, is unsettling.

I keep hoping they'll get better. But they don't. So for the past several days I have been thinking about revisiting the list of blogs I read and deleting the ones I don't like. What's funny, is that it's not really that big of a deal. I take them off my blog roll and I just stop reading. But I keep asking myself if that's the right way to go. I don't want to limit my friends to people who only see things my way. I don't want to seem small and petty. But at the same time one of the things I have learned as an adult is that I don't have to like everyone and everyone doesn't have to like me. I can pick and choose who I am friends with.

Just something I am contemplating. Anybody have an opinion?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It is tough keeping up with the blogs that interest you and you should only read the ones don't make you mad or upset constantly...You are right in that sometimes we all have to be self absorbed on our blogs or sad...it is our outlet, but if it is a daily thing on a blog you read and it has a negative effect...Take it off, or just skip it and only read once a week...

Ur-spo said...

I've been having the same thoughts.
I've accumulated a lot of 'daily reads' and over time some of them have lost some of their hold on me. I stay away from the negative ones (I get enough negativism at work thankyou) but the ones that no longer interest me, I don't know.
I suppose out of guilt I will keep a few that neither hold much interest or seem to stop by mine, but then I think, hey, it is only six months into this for me, Getting to know people takes some time. So I'll keep on visiting them -and even some new ones.
PS - you are a daily read for me; you 'click' just right for me. I enjoy you.

Anonymous said...

I just did a mad purge of my blog roll not long ago and got rid of some bloggers whom I felt were a little to much for me to handle. I don't get off on putting other people down, drug use, or constantly talking about one stays as perfect as they are. The same old topics get boring after a while.