Sunday, December 31, 2006

I was such a slug today. I slept through three phone calls and finally rolled out of bed around 12:30. At which point I moved my lazy butt to the sofa where I slept until 3:30, sleeping through several more phone calls. I got up at 3:30 to pee, thinking I would move back to bed and take a nap, when I finally checked my messages. One was from my friend W.C. reminding me that we had plans at 4:30. Whoops. I called him back, left a message that I would be there and took the fastest shower ever. By 3:45 I was on the subway headed downtown. I got to our arranged meeting spot at 4:27. Not bad if you ask me.

At around 7:30 I stopped by the Gay and Lesbian Center because I had to go to the bathroom and it's the one place in the Village you can go without "being a customer." While I was there I saw A.L. If you remember he's the one who drove cross country with me and then stopped speaking to me after I wouldn't date him. I don't know what got into me, perhaps it was the holidays, or I was in a good mood, or whatever, but I approached him put my arm around him and told him that at some point I would really like to talk about what happened and what's going on. You would have thought I touched him with anthrax. He jumped, pushed my arms away and then screamed at me. "I don't want to talk to you, there's nothing to say. I never want to talk to you again!," and then ran out of the Center.

I was taken aback and pissed off to say the least. I didn't even know what to say. Luckily my friend W.C. witnessed the whole thing and we chatted about it for a moment. It's only my opinion but A.L. has completely blown this "thing" out of proportion. We never dated, have never been on a date, and never even came close to it. I know I was firm when I finally told him no, but he forced me into that position. He acts as if we were in a 10 year relationship and just found out the whole thing was a fraud and that I had been cheating on him the whole time. After I calmed down, I realized it was not anger I felt for him, but pity. It's sad that a 55 year old man would attach himself to someone unattainable and then hold them responsible for it. It's also sad that he's living his life in such a place of resentment and anger. It's not a good place to be. In fact on the way home tonight, it made me realize that I needed to take a look at the anger I feel toward D.L.C. and maybe find some closure in that.

That's it for tonight. Except that C.Z. my roommate and I think we have two baby snails growing on the outside of our bath tub. They are too small to tell but they kind of look like they might be. We don't know if we should let them grow or get rid of them.

7 comments:

KipEsquire said...

I have an unexpected four-day weekend for Gerald Ford's funeral, all my Netflix movies are stuck in transit, I've played out my current Xbox 360 game, and it's only Sunday morning. So I can relate.

Meanwhile, I try to cut out the middleman and avoid 55-year men altogether. Saves time. ;-)

Seriously though, you should in no way feel bad about what happened. He's addicted to you, and addicts behave irrationally. Which is not your fault.

Happy New Year!

Rick Bettencourt said...

Some people are just so sensitive. You did the right thing...you tried to reach out and put things in the past.

Can't wait to hear more about your baby snails. : )

Spider said...

I think you should let the little snails grow - name them Lucy and Ricky and enjoy them - they are the perfect pets - low maintenance, no walks, no special food and you really don't have to play with them!

Will said...

I've heard of all kinds of wildlife growing in New York City apartments, but snails is a new one on me.

Happy New Year, Maddog! Here's wishing you a great 2007.

Ur-spo said...

In ancient Sumeria snails were consumed at the beginning of their new year for good fortune; so perhaps they are a good sign?

BriteYellowGun said...

A.L.=Drama Queen!
and not in a good way either! Sheesh! Lose THAT piece of baggage and move on!

A Bear in the Woods said...

The snails should be given a chance. They seem much healthier than that other guy.