Monday, September 11, 2006

I feel as though I have been neglecting my readers. I haven't been posting regularly and have not finished my story about S.G. As most of you know I flew to San Diego last Sunday and I have not had two minutes to myself since I got here. I have been working almost non-stop. And it only gets worse from here. Starting tomorrow I begin the first of many 12 to 15 hour days. Of course I knew that was in store for me when I came here, but now that I am about to be in the middle of it I am not sure I want to do it. Of course it's WAY to late to change my mind so I'll do the work and try to enjoy it.

I have to admit that I have a lot of anxiety about the project for many reasons. First because I have yet to sign my contract. Based on the contract I was given I am expected to work 5 weeks and only be paid for 4. I realized this on Wednesday of last week. I spoke to P.D. about this and it was not a pleasant conversation. He made it sound like I was splitting hairs, that I was hired for a lump sum not weekly compensation, and then marched away without ending the conversation. I have yet to hear back from him so I have no idea where we are in the big scheme of things.

Then to make matters worse I am the second assistant on the project. The first assistant is all about making himself look good at the expense of those around him. I don't get the feeling that we are in this together. It's more of a feeling of watch your back to make sure you at least see him coming when he starts to stab you in the back. Of course perhaps I am just over reacting but it's my perception of the situation.

And the icing on the cake, is that the person who's running the project is a chain smoking alcoholic who starts drinking around lunch time and doesn't let up until the end of the day. I will spend every break that we take getting him coffee so that he can try to be coherent to do the work required of him. I'll do all of this while kissing his ass because he likes to know at every step of the way how grateful you are that he's letting you work on his project. You have no idea how much fun that is.

I have decided in the past couple of days that I am not meant to be an assistant. Kissing ass is not my strong suit. There are lots of things I do well but that's not one of them.

Wish me luck. I'll post when I can to let you know how it's going.

3 comments:

Ur-spo said...

I wish you luck indeed.
Your coworkers sound nasty; hand in there and be careful.

A Bear in the Woods said...

I hate those kind of situations.
Good luck. You can get through almost anything if you know there's an end to it.

Larry said...

Kissing ass... man, I sure could go for that right about now... oh you meant figuratively?

:)