Monday, September 25, 2006

I don't remember ever being taught manners by my parents. In truth they are not very polite people. My mother does not go out of her way to say please and thank you. And a "bless you" after a sneeze is unheard of. That being said, I picked it up from somewhere. I think I am a very polite person. I say please and thank-you. To this day I say ma'am and sir even though I am old enough to be a sir.

What amazes me is the number of people who aren't polite. Especially at work. My job is very stressful. We have a limited amount of time to make a lot of stuff happen. It's intense and you have to be "on" from the minute the clock starts ticking. I discovered years ago that "please" and "thank-you" go a long way. It's really doesn't take that much effort and people appreciate knowing that you actually acknowledge their participation in the project. I also think it make them work harder for you.

The people I am currently working for don't prescribe to this philosophy. There are no pleases and thank-you's. There are no words of kindness. Only words of ridicule. Only bitterness. Only bitchiness. It doesn't make you want to work. Most of the time it makes me not want to be there at all. Today was the end of our second week of work. Neither the head guy or the associate thanked their crew for a good weeks work. They didn't let them know they were appreciated. Didn't say a word. When the day was over they packed up their things and went home. Granted we don't expect to be thanked for doing our jobs. But a little appreciation never hurt anyone. Did it?

3 comments:

Will said...

Sometimes lack of feedback from a person can be due to personality type as well as lack of manners. My husband teaches the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator system and he says that one of the four components of everyone's personality is either Thinking or Feeling. Feelers say "Great job!" "I love you" "I like being With You." Thinkers said "I love you" in 2003 and rarely give feedback. If challenged, they might say "I said 'I love you' when we moved in together: nothing's changed" or "Unless I tell you otherwise, you're doing fine."

Ur-spo said...

I am a big advocate of manners, growing up with the interesting combination that it brought 'good karma' to have such - and set a gentleman apart from the bums.
I try to always be polite even when emotions say to respond with like to like.

digital t-square said...

I think a part of this current entitlement generation is the lack of manners. Back in my day, we were expected to say please and thank-you, without being reminded to do so. Nothing bugs me more to hear parents reminding their kids to say please and thank-you. And it's usually after the fact. The graditude seems so meaningless by then.