Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Sorry about the lack of posts. My ex-boyfriend C.T. was in town this weekend and I spent three days entertaining him. I think I walked about a million miles while he was here. In fact there is a blister on my right foot the size of a grapefruit. It was nice having him visit but I didn't have a single free minute to myself to even think about a post.

He got in late on Friday evening. He dropped his things off at my apartment and we took the subway downtown to get food. He was anxious to see at least a few of the sights and the only food around me is delivery, so off to Chelsea and the world of gay boys we went. We got there around 11:15 so ended up eating at The Dish. Which is diner food in a word. But the waiters are cute for the most part and the food is cheap and it's not too bad. So we sat in the front window and watched the world go by and had dinner.

After dinner we headed north toward Times Square. It's never a good time to go to Times Square but going after the rush definitely beats being there in the middle of the day. So we walked over to 7th Avenue so that we could see Times Square expand before our eyes. It also allowed us to the see the Empire State Building as we walked past 34th Street. By the time we got to 42nd Street the crowds weren't so bad. We wandered around for a little while and actually ended up going in the sheet music store. C.T. looked for the sheet music to Funny Girl while I strolled up and down aisles and wished that I could have my piano again. At 1:00 a.m. they kicked us out of the store and we walked to Columbus Circle and took the subway home.

It was almost 2:30 before we were home and close to 3:00 before we were in bed. C.T. slept with me so that it wouldn't be as much of an imposition on C.Z. my roommate. Before you go there...we slept together. That's it. We did talk until the wee hours of the morning. Which was rather unfortunate since C.T. was up at 7:30 ready to see the rest of the city.

By 9:00 we were out the door for Saturday's adventure. We did the tour of midtown. We checked out 5th Avenue including FAO Schwartz, the Apple Store, and all the windows displayed going south. We went through St. Patrick's Cathedral, then over to Rockefeller Center to see the undecorated tree, and then on to the Main Branch of the Public Library. Then it was east to Grand Central Station then back to Times Square to see Altar Boys. (Which is a lot of fun.) After the show we headed downtown to Chelsea and the Village where we looked around until dinner at 8:00. Originally we were going to eat at Tello's. But they couldn't decide how much longer it would be for a table. The told us 5 minutes when we arrived. 30 minutes later we were still waiting. At 45 minutes we told them, "sorry we are going elsewhere. We ended up at Lasagna, another Italian restaurant up the street. It was actually okay. The food was good, it was reasonably priced and the bartender and waiter were both very pretty. We managed to be home by 11:00.

C.T. and I decided we needed to unwind so we watched the movie Jeffrey, which is funnier than I remembered. At 2:30 we were in bed where we chatted until at least 4:00. Which was really unfortunate Saturday night because once again he was awake at 7:30 ready to explore the city. I finally woke up enough to tell him that if I didn't get some sleep I wasn't leaving the apartment, gave him directions to Starbucks on 181 Street and told him to come back in a couple of hours. I slept until he rang the buzzer to get back in. After a quick shower, we were on our way again.

Sunday was devoted to the Financial District. In too few hours we rode the Staten Island Ferry, saw Ground Zero, checked out both Trinity Church and St. Paul's, had coffee at South Street Seaport, took pictures at Wall Street, walked half the Brooklyn Bridge, had coffee in Tribeca, C.T. had coffee in Soho. Walked on up to the Village where we explored what's left of Christopher Street. Pointed out the Stonewall Bar. And at 7:30 were on the subway headed back home.

At home C.T., C.Z. and I ordered Chinese and popped in the movie Torch Song Trilogy. C.T. had never seen it and I love it. I saw it when it was first released and cried like a baby when Matthew Broderick was killed. After T.S.T. C.T. wanted to watch another movie and since his weekend had been all NYC. He wanted it to be filmed in New York. So he chose Godspell. I half watched it while I read a few blogs and started getting ready for bed. By 1:00 we were in bed. I had to be up early Monday morning because I'm doing a show in Queens. C.T. and I rode downtown together and he was on his own for the day.

Now the moral of the story. I love having visitors. I love showing people around the city who have never been here before. I love sharing the little pieces of trivia that I have and explaining how the subways work, how to hail a cab, and tons of other NYC information. What I don't like is being responsible for the planning of the entire event. C.T. did not actively participate in the planning of his day, was not interested in any NYC history and had no opinion on where to go next, what to eat for lunch, or what he wanted to do. By 5:00 p.m. on Sunday I was miserable. I had taken him every place I could think of, and couldn't for the life of me, get him to tell me what he wanted to do next. He didn't want to see a movie. He didn't want to eat. He didn't want to.... After a couple hours of this I made the decision that home was the best place to be and that we were ordering Chinese for dinner.

After a long talk with my roommate I have decided that never again will I be responsible for planning someone's trip to NYC. I'll be happy to show them around and be a part of the experience. But it will be up to them to decide what they want to do. I love C.T. to death, but by the end of Sunday I was ready to scream and just wanted him to go home. Which was not his intent at all, but was where he pushed me to. I know he had a good time but before he comes to visit again, I'll have to explain the new rules to him.

So if any of you are planning trips to NYC and want me to show you around at least offer a few ideas about what you want to see.

2 comments:

Thomas (Tom) Rimington said...

It sounds like you did an awesome job Maddog... I have done the same to friends visiting Richmond, and Miami before that.

I found it actually gave me a chance to revisit the places that I never went to, living there.

I have been to NYC a couple of times, but never did all the real touristy things. I'll prepare a list before I arrive!!

Tom

Ur-spo said...

you did do this man well!
Rest assured, when I come to NYC next I'll have my 'requests' all lined up for ya.
NYC at Christmas time! I recall there is a store with outrageous window displays each year, but I don't recall the name....