Sunday, November 05, 2006

I realized last night as I was getting ready for bed that S.A. is not the only person from my past who has contacted me in the last few months. In fact she is number 5. Two people found me through the web site that I have set up for my design work. One person found me through a mutual friend. And two people have found me through My Space. It makes me wish that I had created my web site and joined these web groups earlier. But who was to know it would rekindle old friendships. As I said last night, I have a love-hate relationship with the internet but for right now I am deeply in love.

I have had a great day. I got up early this morning and went to Ikea. Don't worry Ur-Spo I wore my alien deflector hat again. I needed to get more metal shelves to put in my bedroom. I have a very typical NYC apartment. It has lots of character and charm and almost no closet space. I do however, have tall ceilings so I am putting shelves in a number of places to store clothes and things. I am a keeper of things so I have a lot of "stuff" that has to be put someplace. Actually, my roommate and I are perfect for each other. He keeps nothing, I keep everything. We would make a great couple if only we were attracted to each other. So I went to Ikea. The nice thing about NYC is that there is a service for everything. So to get to the Ikea in Elizabeth, New Jersey you just go down to the Port Authority and hop on a free shuttle bus and in 30 minutes you are there. You follow the maze in the store, buy your furniture du jour and then haul it out to the bus and you are on your way. And if it's too heavy to carry you can pay a fee and they'll deliver it for you. In all it takes about 5 hours door to door to get there. But it's so worth it. The shelves look great, are cheap, and they fit exactly where I need them to go.

The thing that wasn't so nice about the trip to Ikea was that A.L. mentioned his wanting to be in a relationship with me. A.L. is my friend who drove cross country with me and didn't talk for 5 of the 6 days we were on the road. That might explain his shyness. He mentioned his attraction to me on the last day of the trip. I was polite but played it off. I don't think he got the message. So today we were talking about my new job prospect and the fact that I might be moving to the midwest for 4 months to teach. And he starts pointing out all the reasons it would be a bad idea. I finally stopped and asked him if his reasons were based on the fact that he would miss me and then he confessed. Yes, to a degree. Don't get me wrong I like the attention and I am flattered. But dating A.L. is wrong for a number of reasons. First, I'm not attracted to him. Second, we belong to an organization where dating between members is discouraged. Third, he's 15 years older than me. Fourth, he's HIV+, and although I don't have a problem with that. Two of my last three boyfriends were HIV+ and I've told myself I didn't want to do that again. Perhaps if it was Mr. Right. But not A.L. Fifth, the conversation doesn't flow with us. We have nice conversations but it's not the way two people who have a thing for each other talk. I could go on but I think you get the point. Unfortunately, I am afraid that I am going to have to stop hanging out with him to make him get the picture. But we'll see.

I feel like I am all over the place tonight. But the last thing I'll talk about is my job offer. A couple of days ago I posted about a job that I had sort of applied for in the midwest. Actually I didn't apply. I was ask if I was interested. I said I was. I was ask to send a C.V. I did. Two days later the Dean of Students calls to offer me the job. I didn't interview. I didn't even seek the job out. And now it's mine. If I want it. I told them I would let them know on Monday. Tomorrow. I am going to do it. It only makes sense. The pay is quite nice, for only teaching two classes with no other responsibilities. The classes are taught on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays so I can get home for the weekend if I need to have a break. Speaking of breaks there's two weeks of spring break exactly half way through. And the most important thing. It's a great school and the resume credit would certainly open some doors for me. The drawbacks. The school is in a city of 9,200 people and it's more than an hour away from the nearest big city. And I won't have a car so it might make it a little difficult to get to the big city should I want to go. But I think I can deal with all of that. And the town is in a red state which sorta makes me nervous. But what can I do. So tomorrow, I am going to call them and accept. So very soon, you'll be hearing all about the adventures of Professor Maddog from the middle of the country.

Have a great week.

3 comments:

digital t-square said...

Congrats again on the career move. Were you teaching out here, too? Let me guess, a Torero?

A Bear in the Woods said...

Maybe it will be a fun change, temporarily. With 9,200 people, however, I doubt the nightlife is anything special. I can only take urban life in relatively small doses, even though I know that's where I need to be to find people like me.

Ur-spo said...

the comment that you were all over the place tonight confirms my worst fears that you-know-who got to you at IKEA (They stop at nothing). Be mindful in the next week; watch for sudden songs by Earth Kitt playing in your head.
It is a sure sign they have been 'inside'.