Friday, November 10, 2006

I did a very New York touristy thing last night. I went to see the Rockettes in the Radio City Music Hall's Christmas Spectacular. My friend S.H. is an assistant designer on the show and was given a number of free tickets for the their final dress rehearsal. I had never seen the Rockettes nor even been in the Music Hall. It was stunning to say the least.

The Radio City Music Hall is a beautiful place to behold. I was talking to someone about it today and we were talking about the fact that there will never be a place built like that again. It's art deco design is just as stunning today as I am sure it was in 1932 when it opened. As for the Rockettes, they were equally stunning. Fifty girls dancing in exact precision was amazing. Of course it helps that they all look exactly alike and are the same exact height. The show itself is about 45 minutes too long. They cover all of the Christmas shows including Babes In Toyland, The Nutcracker and even a little Grinch. It's all beautiful just a little long. And the whole thing could have been done without the religious component at the end. Don't get me wrong the living nativity was great, but the endless praise of Christianity was a bit much. Christ was a great man, but too much evil has been done in his name to support the hype that was given at the show.

Tonight my roommate was invited to see a series of one acts called Trichotomy being produced by Fly By Night Theater. I would say run don't walk as fast as you can...in the other direction. There was nothing redeeming about this show at all. The acting was uneven and often over the top. The direction was almost non-existent. The production values were awful. The writing could have used some serious editing. The whole show seemed to have been thrown together at the last minute with little thought to what was trying to be done. All three shows were too long. The first show which could have been very funny went on about 25 minutes longer than it's comedy did. The second show was just awful. I have no idea what it was about. My roommate had no idea what it was about. And a women we met at the show had no idea what it was about. The third show was so overwritten and poorly directed that the talent shown by the lead male Dominic Sahagun was lost. There is too much theatre being done in NYC to waste your time on these shows.

That's it for me being critical tonight. Tomorrow I have to get up early and work my ass off to get my apartment in order. My friend J.S. is coming to stay with me for a few days next week and I want the place done. That means everything in it designated place, pictures on the wall, bathroom clean, laundry put away. The works. There's not a lot left to do, I have just been lazy this week. So tomorrow I am up early and working my butt off so that I don't have to stress all weekend.

2 comments:

Spider said...

Gee - and we here in Orlando get SO EXCITED when we get David Coutier coming to down doing Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat!

Sounds really wonderful - so glad you had a great time!

Ur-spo said...

I love visiting NYC but have never been to the Rockette's or their abode. I was suprised to hear there was any christianity at all, let along its emphasis. I thought it was all secular.
Was there literal 'Grinch" in it? the notion of rockettes doing whoville kicks sounds too much.