Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sometimes I hate the internet. It's so impersonal. And with emails, instant messages, and now blogs there's no reason at all to leave the house and go out into the "real" world and see people. I used to love checking the mail because there was always the possibility of getting a letter. I don't remember the last time I got a letter. Even cards are a thing of the past with new e-Cards. And although I appreciate getting them, it's not the same as having had someone take the time to go and pick out a card and drop it in the mail in order for you to have it the day before your birthday. Yes, sometimes I hate the internet.

But not today. Today I was contacted by a very dear friend who had disappeared off the face of the earth ten years ago or so. She contacted me because I have a really stupid My Space account. I signed up for it on a whim and never use it. In fact the only reason I go to My Space is because I have another friend who blogs using it. I'm assuming that S.A. did a search for me and found my sight. She left a message asking if it was me and telling me to contact her if it was. I did and now I wait. The fact that we are so close to being in touch excites me to no end.

I don't even remember how we lost touch. In the late 80's we were friend in Atlanta. We waited tables at the same restaurant and became instant friends. She was the worst waitress I had ever met. She was sweet and friendly but she was always dropping things, or forgetting things, or losing money or something. But it didn't stop us from being friends. In fact for two months in April/May 1989 I shared her studio apartment with her. After that I moved back to Kentucky and we talked as often as we could. In 1992 I went to visit her in Miami where she had moved to be closer to her family. My boyfriend S.G. and I spent a week with her and had an amazing time. In fact our vacation was cut short because while we were there, we were asked to evacuate because of the impending threat of hurricane Andrew. Right after the storm S.A. moved to Hawaii to become a nanny. She lived there until 1995 when she married a guy in the army and moved to Colorado. I spoke to her just before the move. Not long after this, I moved to Cincinnati. We haven't spoken since. Nothing happened we just became lost to each other. There have been countless time that I have Googled her. And nothing. She shares the same last name of a famous author so unfortunately any hits are always about him. Now I am on pins and needles waiting for her to respond. I can hardly wait and of course I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I also remember the days of getting letters in the mail and having a couple of pen pals... but then I grew up and dreaded the mail as I would get more and more bills that I was supposed to pay... ughh... I too have had people I probably would not be able to keep in touch with contact me via MySpace or my blog and it is nice to hear from them and I actually have been fortunate to meet up with some and catch up in person... the computer world is a love hate type of thing I guess...

Ur-spo said...

I agree with mr. sorted - a marvelous story!
By the way, I am fond of writing letters, and if you want one of these old fashioned bits in the post, give me your address!