Monday, November 20, 2006

I haven't posted in several days. I wish I had a good excuse like I won the lottery and I've been buying a new house. Or that I have been vacationing in the south of France. Or I was hired to design a Broadway show and have been working. But no. Nothing like that. On Wednesday my friend J.S. came to New York. She's here working on a show and needed a place to stay so I offered her my couch. I actually gave her my bed, just so she would be more comfortable and I have been sleeping on the couch but that's neither here nor there. On Wednesday, after she arrived, we met downtown to hang out. We grabbed a quick bite, thinking we would get a real dinner later, and then met my friend L.G. At first it was going to just be coffee but after I told them the WHOLE story of A.L. and his advances toward me, we decided a drink was in order.

We weren't sure where to go so we headed toward the Village to see what we could find. We tried the bar Pieces but it was way too crowded. So as a last resort we ended up at The Duplex in their upstairs bar. It was practically empty and it was a nice place to continue our conversation. As we worked on our second drink the place began to fill up. Turns out there was a Drag Show at 9:00 and we were soon surrounded by drag queens. A couple of them looked good but there was nothing special. Since the bar was filling up we decided it was time to move on so we headed across the street to Marie's Crisis. I am actually embarrassed to say that I like this bar but I think it's great. It's a hole in the wall in the basement of this building with about 4 tables, a small bar and a piano in the middle of the room. The piano is played while the customers belt out their favorite show tunes. So J.S. and L.G. and I sang and sang and drank and drank and drank. At some point L.G. left but J.S. and I continued to sing and drink and drink and sing. Soon we knew everyone in the bar and people we buying us drinks. It was close to four when we stumbled out of the bar to head home.

We were DRUNK. We had never gotten dinner and both of us were drinking the hard stuff. I had been enjoying Maker's Mark and she had been drinking gin. And both of us had had a lot more than we needed. In fact, I have not been this drunk in years. J.S. was completely out of it. She cried and apologized all the way home for being such a mess. It made me laugh. She is the most polite drunk you have ever met but she continued to apologize. I finally got her home and put her to bed and I passed out on the sofa. It was after 2:00 p.m. when I finally woke from the fog. Hungover is not the word to describe how I felt. My head hurt. My stomach hurt. My body hurt. I lay on the sofa all day. I got up to go to the bathroom. Eat dinner and get more Diet Coke. Around 10 or so I went back to sleep and slept till late in the morning on Friday. I still felt like crap. I have spent the whole weekend recovering. I finally feel like a normal person.

The moral of this story. Do Not Drink This Much Again.

At least not for a couple of months or so.

3 comments:

Spider said...

HEY - there is nothing wrong with tying one on with an old friend!

Glad you are feeling better!

digital t-square said...

This post reminds me of St. Patrick's Day, 2000 or '01. Either way, it was on Good Friday, too. My drink of choice then was Long Island Iced Tea. I could down them really fast. Three or four in a half-hour. The bartender had a crush on my friend, so when we started doing tequila shots, the bartender paid for the first round. I remember three rounds, they say we did seven! I went to the bathroom, I hurled so hard that my glasses flew off. I'm blind without my glasses. The next thing I remember was being driven home in my Miata, topless. The car, not me. The whole episode produced a two-day hangover and a strong dislike for tequila. (Shudder)

Ur-spo said...

another moral is all that drinking will lead to social dancing.