Friday, November 24, 2006

My stomach hurts. I think that's the point of Thanksgiving. It's a license to overeat. Not that we don't do it the rest of the year. But for one day each year, everyone participates in the occasion. And that's what I did today. I overate. And now my tummy hurts.

I spent the afternoon and evening with my friend S.H., his boyfriend M.G. and D.B. We had a great time. We ate, we laughed, and then we ate some more. It was S.H.'s first time cooking Thanksgiving dinner, especially the turkey. It was all perfect. In fact it was one of the best turkeys I have ever had. Moist isn't the word for how perfect it was. I contributed pumpkin pie for the occasion. I have never made pumpkin pie before but my roommate C.Z. had a recipe in Amy Vanderbilt's Complete Cookbook published in 1961. The illustrations in the book are by some guy named Andrew Warhol. It's super simple and the pie turned out great. We each had two slices, so I think that meant they liked it. S.H. announced that this would be the first of many holiday meals that he would host.

Ur-Spo pointed out to me that I left off a very important thing to be thankful for in my list last night. One thing I am very thankful for and try to not take for granted is that I live in New York City. The greatest city in the world. I love most everything about it. The diversity, the crowds, the architecture, the shopping, the museums, the theatres. I could go on but most of you know what NYC has to offer. Another thing that I am quite grateful for this year is that I am in a place in the world where I will get to experience winter. I can't wait for snow. The cold weather has been great so far. Now it just needs to get really cold so I can start wearing my hat and scarf.

So thank you Ur-Spo for reminding to include NYC on my list.

6 comments:

Rick Bettencourt said...

Bet that pumpkin pie was absolutely fabulous! Can you send me any leftovers?

Ur-spo said...

you're most welcome, my dear dear mad dog.
I hope you get lots of snow too.

digital t-square said...

Glad to hear that you had a nice Thanksgiving. Sorry to hear about the upset tummy. Go old-school and drink some bicarbonate. Or drink some hot tea with lemon. That always seems to alleviate some of the...errr...discomfort.

Anonymous said...

I hope your stomach is all better now. And where is my pumpkin pie? I love pumpkin pie. :) I'm coming to NYC for Christmas. :0

Jason said...

Damn, after reading your post I realized I didn't have any pumpkin pie this year. Nuts.

You are very blessed to be living in the best city, NYC. I can't wait to go back!

Hope you have a great week :)

Anonymous said...

I'm late too.. but I'm with you on the Thanksgiving Hurt. My stomach has still not recovered. I need to remind myself that I need to continue to feed it, even though it feels like crap. Is this joy? Is this pleasure?

Yes.

Happy Belated Thanksgiving. :)