Thursday, October 12, 2006

My project in San Diego is done. I finished up at around 4:00 this afternoon. Packed up my computer, said my goodbyes and left. It feels good. I called a few people and sang my "I'm done" song. It was silly, but it's the way I felt. This project has been anything but rewarding and I'm quite sure I won't be working with this team again. It will be a mutual understanding that we'll all be happy with.

My friend A.L. arrived here today. He flew in from San Francisco where he'd been for a a couple of days. He's from NYC and has nicely agreed to drive cross country with me when I leave on Sunday. I'll be in a 22 foot Penske truck, with all of my belongings. It will be the 4th time I have driven cross country and the second time in a truck. It's actually not all that bad and it's the only way I can afford to get my things back to NYC. It won't be the end of the world and we are taking our time so we'll be able to stop in a couple of places along the way and enjoy the sights. If we drove it straight through I could do it in 4 days but I'm expecting it to take 6 or 7. Either way in two weeks I'll be sleeping in my own bed again, which I haven't done in almost 4 months. I can't wait.

I enjoyed writing yesterday's post on coming out. I hadn't thought about my story in a long time. Actually I don't remember the last time I discussed it. I don't like to dwell in the past but I think it's very important to visit every once in a while to kind of figure out where I've been. Last night was such a visit. As I was writing I realized that even though I am from Kentucky, which is a conservative state, I have never had a negative reaction from anyone I told that I was gay. I had a couple of friends get mad at me for taking so long to clue them in, but no one has ever dismissed me, disowned me, or turned away from me. I count myself one of the lucky ones.

When I lived in Atlanta right after college, my parents came down for Thanksgiving two years in a row. My mother brought all the fixin's and we had dinner at my house. Both years I invited friends that had no other place to go and both years that included friends who had been thrown out of their houses. One particular friend Paul was thrown out with none of his belongings and no money. He was told to get out and not to come back. He hadn't spoken to his family since that day and that was several years early. He had just finished high school when this happened. For all of my parents faults I can't ever imagine them saying that to my brother and me for just about anything we would do. They might not like it but they would love us anyway.

It makes me realize how lucky I am sometimes. I haven't always gotten along with my family, and my extended family drives me crazy. But at the end of the day they are accepting of who I am and what I am. They don't understand me, and probably never will. I mean really, who reads books? And goes to school? On purpose. They are already predicting that I'll be back in school in another couple of years. Unfortunately they are the only family I have. And in some weird twisted way I love them. I don't always show it, but I do.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Great post. I try and see the good in people, even though sometimes its really difficult. A happy medium is always a good thing I guess.

Ur-spo said...

well, if it weren't for family, I'd be out of a job.
God Bless'em