Thursday, October 26, 2006

I had a panic attack tonight. In fact I am still shaking a bit and my fingers and toes are still tingling. At one point I thought I was going to collapse on the subway platform. It took all of my strength to force myself to go into the station and get on the train. I felt like I was about to jump out of my skin. If I had had someplace to go to wait it out I would have, but I didn't know where to go and I felt like I needed to hide and the best place to do that was in my room at home. By the time I got off the train the attack was mostly gone except for the lingering side effects. I made my way home, and collapsed in a chair in the living room. My roommate was giving me grief about something I did today and after a deep breath I told him what was happening. He was quite kind. He asked me if I was okay and we chatted for more than an hour. Now except for the shaking and the tingling the effects are gone. I have no idea what triggered it or how to make sure it doesn't happen again. I do know this, it's not fun and I don't want to do it again soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing. I hope you are doing better now. If you ever need to talk about it, just let me know - sometimes that is the best thing to make it pass is talk it out.

Thomas (Tom) Rimington said...

I started getting them about a year and a half ago. My Doctor suggested it may be stress related, also I had quit smoking about 3-4 months earlier. I had never experienced an anxiety attack before and had no idea what it was... I think that a certain level of anxiety helps us function better, BUT THIS WAS AWEFUL and debilitating...

Doc finally put me on a mild dose of anti-depression/anti-anxiety medication... Thank God they worked!

Hope you are feeling better today, Your's may have been caused by the trip and lack of sleep... See an MD though, if it continues....

Tom

Ur-spo said...

panic attacks are no fun; they feels like the end of the world; happily they only feel that way.
Are you doing anything to stop these pesky things? Breathing exercises are often very good to get them down.