Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I have spent most of my life not fitting in. It started as a kid in my own family. I was the "smart" one. I liked to read. I liked school. I always told my parents where I was going to be and I always came home when I was told to. I was referred to as a "sissy" and a "momma's boy" a lot as a kid. And this was by my family. My cousins didn't understand why I would want to do my homework. I have an aunt who is nine years older than me who gave me nothing but grief as a child. She constantly made fun of the way I walked telling me "I walked like a girl". To this day I don't like people walking behind me.

It wasn't much better at school. The teasing and remarks started in junior high school and continued through high school. I didn't live in the right neighborhood and my parents didn't have the right jobs. We didn't have a telephone until I was in the sixth grade. We rented our house, and I didn't get my own bedroom. It also didn't help that I wasn't good at sports. I was picked last a lot and if not last very much toward the bottom of the pool. I was teased for being in the drama club and it was very much assumed that I was gay.

It got better in college, but not a lot. I went to a small conservative liberal arts school in Kentucky, as most of them are. I wasn't religious enough so I heard about that. Once again, I didn't have the right income so I heard about that. It was also the time that I started gaining weight for the first time and my fraternity brothers were relentless about that. It's when I learned to sneak food because I got so tired of everything I ate being noticed. It was easier to have a small portion and then go out later and get something substantial. I was a theatre major so once again I was given crap about not having a real major and it was very much assumed that I was gay.

After college things were better. I found that I surrounded myself with people who were like me. My jobs right after college were in restaurants where most of the staff was gay. I came out of the closet. I learned to stand up for myself, laugh at myself and accept myself. I did more growing up in the two years after college than I had my entire life.

Since then I have rarely been in situations where people didn't like me or teased me. I am sure it has a lot to do with how I present myself and how I respond to them. I also learned that if you can laugh at yourself most of the time people realize that it has no power. I have also found that since college I fit in much better. I have been one of the gang. Someone people want to hang out with. I have created my own groups of people that other people want to be a part of. And I try my hardest not to be exclusionary. If you want to play you are more than welcome.

And it's been that way for a while. At least until I got to San Diego to do this job. Suddenly I am not one of the gang. In fact I am hardly acknowledged at all. And I am definitely excluded from playing. I realized this about a week ago. I realized that I was being told I was done at the dinner break ahead of the rest of the team. At first I thought they were being nice. I would then ask what the first assistant S.T. was doing for dinner and I was always told he was staying to work through dinner. I believed him. Until the night I was waiting to go to dinner with some friends of mine. Seems he and A.Z. were waiting until I left to go have dinner alone. Once I was discovered this I became very aware of it. Without being told it was made very clear that I was not invited to join them at lunch or dinner.

Tonight was S.T.'s last night in town. He's the first assistant and he's flying to NYC tomorrow to do another project. In hushed whispers I discovered that everyone else on the team was getting together for drinks tonight after work. Everyone but me. I was not invited. I wasn't even told about it. If it hadn't been for being at the right place (wrong place) at the right time I wouldn't have even known about it.

The point to tonight's post. It hurts just as much as a 41 year old as it did as a kid to be left out. I can intellectually know that I wouldn't want to be there anyway. And chances are I would have said I was going home. But to be openly excluded like that doesn't feel good. It makes me feel less than as a human being. It makes me feel like shit to put it bluntly. And I don't like it. In truth I don't really like these people much. But that's not the point. I feel like it's third grade again and I didn't get invited to the birthday party. It makes me angry and when I get angry I shut down and I still have a weeks worth of work to do that I can't do shut down.

In a different time and place I would have made a point to say something and let them know how angry I am. But I won't give them the pleasure. Besides in the end it really isn't that important now is it? I'll go back to NYC and I will resume my life there and I won't think about these people. And if I do I won't remember them for their talent, or their work ethic, or their abilities. I'll remember them for being childish asses that don't deserve the effort I have spent tonight writing this post.

Fuck 'em.

3 comments:

digital t-square said...

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. I hope it doesn't damper your opinion of San Diegans. Those coworkers must be transplants. I'm a native, and I think I'm (fairly) nice.

Ur-spo said...

feeling left out is one of the greatest hurts we can feel.
We want to be part of a tribe; or better yet, have some tribe point to us and say 'he is one of us'.
well, you are part of my tribe, for what ever that is worth.

A Bear in the Woods said...

I'm really sorry that you had to go through that. I'm just sorry. I pick you first to be on my team.