Friday, June 09, 2006

So I wanted my first post to be funny and witty. I wanted it to be full of insightful observations. I wanted it to be...well you get the point. So instead it's 3:30am and since I can't sleep I have decided what better way to start my blog than writing something at some ungodly hour in the am.

So I am Maddog. Well not really. It's actually a nickname that was given to me years ago while I was attending the University of Kentucky. I saw a co-worker at McDonalds and she called me Maddog. Now I had never been called this before, and had no idea why she called me that then. But my friends heard it and it stuck. I became Maddog to everyone who knew me. This was in 1990. No one calls me that anymore. I have grown up and become Jeff. Well actually I have been called many things but most of my friends call me Jeff. But for the sake of this blog I'll be Maddog.

And Maddog is moving to the big city. As of July 1st, I'll be an official resident of the New York City. Again. Not that this is a bad thing. I love the city. It's home. It's just that I have been away for three years and a lot has changed. I am no longer in a relationship. I have failed to stay in touch with most of my friends there. I have gained 70 pounds. I have finished grad school. I am poor. I have no job. And so it's scary, in a good way.

When I get there I'll have enough money to last me about three months. This gives me a little bit of a cushion to find work. But not much of one. It won't allow me to be lazy until the money is gone. So the minute I get there I'll be pounding the pavement looking for work.

What kind of work you ask? I am a lighting designer. I have just finished one of the best theatre design programs in the country and now am about to prove my professor wrong and begin making a living doing commercial theatre. At least that's what I hope happens. Who knows? In five years I'll be the manager of the TGI Friday's in Time Square. You know it's the largest TGI Fridays in the world. At least that's what the sign says.

So you guys all get to take this journey with me. I'll be documenting my search for work, love, happiness and fulfillment in the city. So stay tuned for all the fun that goes with moving cross country and resuming my career.

No comments: