Thursday, June 22, 2006

Normally I finish my day by posting to my blog. It's become my new routine in the past couple of weeks. However that was not the case last night. And why you ask?

As I have mentioned several times, I finished grad school on March 25th. What I haven't mentioned is that I haven't really worked since then. If you do the math that's three months worth of unemployment except you're not qualified to receive unemployment when you finish school. Now I could give you all of the reasons that I have told myself, my friends and my family as to why I haven't worked but I am beginning to realize that it's mostly a bunch of bull. Truth is I was too proud to get a "temporary" job in San Diego because I knew that I was moving soon to New York.

It's not like I have wasted all of this time. I have done three shows that all pay a small amount. I presented my work at showcases in New York and L.A. In truth that's about all I have done. I have watched a lot of t.v., cruised for cute men at the "Watering Hole" and eaten a bunch of crap that's not good for me.

Now all of this would have been fine and dandy if I had money, came from money, or had a rich boyfriend to support me. But the truth is I have been broke for most of the past three months. I have been scraping by little by little with the shows I've done, by selling the last of the stocks that I own, and begging for money from my friend M.L. who makes more money than anyone I know. Actually he's more than a friend but that's a post for another day that'll take about 8 hours to tell.

The long and the short of it though, is that I haven't been paying my bills. I have been paying what had to be paid, and just enough to keep them from turning off the utilities. Well, I missed the notice about the internet and it was disconnected yesterday. At 7:30 last night when I called repair I was routed to collections and not repair where I was told that if I wanted service I had to pay my bill.

This is where things get tricky. I sold my car two weeks ago. It was a 2005 Honda Accord that I owned outright. The sell of the car was pure profit. What I didn't know when I sold it was that my bank would put an 11 day hold on the check. So for two weeks I have been scrounging by with money in the bank that I can't access. The hold should be lifted any day now and I'll be able to bring everything current. But until then I am counting every penny and cutting as many corners as I can to make it.

So now I am stealing. Someone in my neighborhood has a wireless internet connection that's not password protected. So I am borrowing some of their bandwidth to keep up to date with my favorite blogs and post my own. So I just have to hang on till that check clears and I get to NYC and start making real money. Oh wait, did I tell you that I was a lighting designer. There will be no real money. I just hope to have a good time while I make it.

No comments: