Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I had coffee today with my ex-boyfriend C.T. We dated over a year ago and it was a short lived affair. From start to finish it lasted about three months and we broke up about 400 times during that time. I figured out very early that C.T. was not my "soul mate" but I had to prove it to myself over and over and over again. Truth is, C.T. doesn't really need a boyfriend at all. What he really likes is the idea of a boyfriend, but isn't quite prepared for the work that is entailed with keeping a relationship functioning in a happy healthy way. It also doesn't help that his best friend, A.L. is a 60 year old gay man who dotes on him like only a mother should. It's borders on inappropriate. A.L. has never been in a relationship, and didn't come out of the closet until about two and a half years ago. Together they are both messes.

Long story short, I don't like A.L. It's not just one reason, it's many. He wears too much cologne. He insists on kissing you on the lips when he sees you. He's rude to the wait staff. He has an opinion about all of C.T.'s friends and boyfriends and doesn't approve of most of us. He so loud everyone in the restaurant knows your business. And the real winner...to see C.T. you must see A.L. For going on more than a year I have not see C.T. alone. If we make plans for dinner guess who's there. Plans for coffee. My graduation and dinner that followed. My 40th birthday party. A.L is always there whether A.L's been invited or not.

Turns out it's not just me who see this as a problem. C.T's last boyfriend got a wake up call when they moved to Denver and A.L. announced that he was quitting his job and moving there too. This still hasn't happened but it just supports my opinion of how inappropriate this relationship is. Of course C.T. wasn't able to hang on to this boyfriend because he just couldn't drink and stick to that whole monogamous thing.

Perhaps I should suggest that C.T. and A.L. get together as a couple. A.L. could dote on C.T.,while he treats him like shit. Sounds like the perfect couple and would then at least explain why I get A.L. when I see C.T. and would take C.T. off the market so he would stop convincing boys they need to date him so he could treat them like crap, cheat on them, and destroy their worlds.

But I am not bitter.

No comments: