Monday, February 05, 2007

It's time for my Monday check-in:

Weight Loss this week: 2 pounds
Total Weight Lost: 27.5 pounds
Miles walked: 16 miles
Miles run: 2 (slowly, but it's a start)
Average Temperature this week: 25 million degrees below zero
Scarves finished: 5
Total scarves since moving to Iowa: 12


It's been a much better day today. I slept late, which I desperately needed, and then actually got busy doing all of the things I had put off from the weekend. I returned email, while drinking a lot of coffee, returned a number of phone calls, and got started planning my classes for the week. The afternoon was gone in a flash and it was time to walk to school for a production meeting. The meeting went well, and most of my concerns were things that have been changed in my favor so I no longer have to deal with them. After the meeting, I attended rehearsal, and then walked home. That's the short and sweet of it, concerning my day, and as I said, the feelings from the weekend were gone.

I've dealt with depression my whole life, and in the past 7 or 8 years it's been kept in check by a number of different methods: Exercise, medication, therapy, healthy eating, etc. The one thing I have come to terms with over the past few years is that no matter how depressed I am, I know it's not going to last. Sometimes, I have to stop my pity party and remind myself that's true but I just tell myself that if I get some sleep, hold on and in a couple of days it will be gone. For the most part, for the last few years this has worked. That was very much how I dealt with this past weekend.

Thanks to everyone who offered their words of support this past weekend. It always makes me feel better to know that I am not alone. So if you stopped by and left a comment thank you. If you didn't leave a comment thank you too. It's kind of funny but according to the counter on my sight more people are stopping by my blog than ever before and yet the comments have been slipping. I don't understand why, but I'm just glad that people are stopping by to see what I have to say.

10 comments:

Rick Bettencourt said...

Congratulations on the weight loss. Sounds like you've got a handle on the depression which is a good thing.

Sorted Lives said...

More people suffer from depression than we realize. You can get through this.

And, I will always stop by. You are one of my morning reads before work. I agree with you about people stopping by. Some entries are just not made for commenting. Sometimes, that is not a bad thing.

Take care!!

Thomas (Tom) Rimington said...

You are on the top of my morning reads too maddog!

I am sitting here reading blogs and listening to the morning news on tv. The weatherman says you guys are getting some snow out there this morning... AND... it's heading our way... We'll take your Iowa snow anytime, just keep the depression out there!!

Glad you are feeling better, I understand the place a bout with depression/anxiety can put you in, just happy you got through it...

As for leaving comments, well as you can see, I have been bad posting anything these days, just too much going on... But wanted you to know I never miss a day of my "Maddog in the City" fix...

Love ya
Tom

Anonymous said...

Hey congrats on a couple more pounds down. You are putting me to shame. LOL

Hope you have a great Tuesday. :)

Donnie said...

A round of applause for the weight loss! I'm glad things are looking up.

I read you whenever you update (thanks to NewsGator). I always try to comment, too. It's my little thanks for you posting. :D

Pete said...

Nice job on all your accomplishments. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

I stop by each evening, but don't always comment. I doubt I'm alone in this.

Cole said...

I stumbled upon this blog a couple of weeks ago. I've enjoyed reading your recent entries. My partner and I live in Iowa City so I truly appreciate your perspective while visiting here during the long winter months! For a little levity just rent Fargo from Netflix! That ought to fix your mood. :-)

Spider said...

You are so right Maddog - no matter how bad the depression, it WILL lift... sometimes with assistance and sometimes on its own... I think you are doing really wonderful in a very stressful situation... and I have always thought that people who stop by and don't comment still leave a little positive cosmic energy hanging around for us to take hold of...

Of course I also believe in the Easter Bunny and that a twinkie is good for you - so what in the hell do I know! ;-)

BriteYellowGun said...

Could it be S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder...or something like that?)? I know I have felt it more this winter after having been in the Carolinas for the last four. The gray, the cold, the dark. It takes it's toll.